Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Maputo Marimba


After a lovely visit with Caitlin in Chidenguele, I made a quick trip to Maputo to meet Sokwe, who was in Mozambique for the weekend, but spoke no Portuguese (I am not sure how helpful my Span-iguese was, however...especially since no one expected the white girl to understand anything). Following my first bout of traveler's sickness this summer/winter, we made the trip back up the coast to meet Caitlin and Iraque in Quissico for the timbila (marimba) music festival. Even if you do not like timbila, you cannot help but love the lagoons and palm-covered hills that provide the backdrop to the drummers and dancers. And a walk through small villages to actually reach the lagoon and go swimming is unbeatable! Too bad this was the last of my summer/winter travels in Africa...more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment