Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Out of Africa; Reunions Part IV

Some random thoughts and opinions as I prepare to leave Africa, after 99 glorious days and nights:

1. Adjusting to Speaking Setswan-glish

In nine weeks in Botswana, I have not learned much Setswana (the local language). But I've learned a few key phrases and picked up on very Botswana ways of speaking English that any visitor may find helpful:

Dumela mma/Dumela rra

Pronunciation: do-meh-la, emphasis on the "meeh"
Definition: Hello ma'am/Hello sir
Usage: Whenever you see someone you know. If you don't greet someone, you are a rude and worthless person.

Akr
Pronunciation: I may not be spelling this correctly, but "akr" is pronounced like you are opening your mouth at the dentist's office (aah), followed by a short "gr". Spoken quickly.
Definition: "Isn't it?"
Usage: Often used after a phrase that seeks concurrence from your conversation partner; makes something a rhetorical question, as in "It's very cold in Gaborone in July, akr?" or "This chicken peri peri is very tasty, akr?". When speaking English with a white person, Batswana and South Africans may commonly reply "Izzit?" (Is it?) after you say something they don't believe.

Kea leboga
Pronunciation: kay-a lay-bo-ha
Definition: Thank you
Usage: To thank someone--obviously. If you don't thank someone, much like not greeting someone, you are similarly a worthless person (but not greeting someone is worse).

That side

Definition: over there or far away; where you come from or live (if it's not close)
Usage: "You're from America? How are things on that side?"

Monna
Definition: man (slang)
Usage: In the bar, if you want a drink, you raise your hand and call "Ei, mona! Windhoek lager, please!"

Rolled r's and long vowels

--Whenever I ask for a combi to Riverwalk Mall, the driver never understands me. I eventually realized my pronunciation is what's throwing them off. You can't say "Riverwalk" American-style. You have to say "rrrreeeeveeerwok".

2. Botswana Food
--This is more than the peri-peri. I'm really going to miss:
* Bran muffins in every grocery store. So cheap and so good.
* Pumpkin! Squash makes everything better. Beets come in a close second in the veggie category.
* 100% Juice in cans. More than just apple and orange--there's mango orange, berry blast, tropical heaven...the list goes on.
* Pies. The spinach and cheese one makes me happy.
* Cadbury--it's so much easier to find here than in the U.S.
* $5 steaks. Even though I'm not eating beef right now.
* Ribs! Why did it take me until my final night in Botswana to actually eat these?

3. Flagging a Combi--If you can't see the number on the front of the vehicle, you hold up the number of fingers of the route you want--the driver will signal back with his route number. So easy!

4. Reunions: I've loved the chance to meet up with so many old friends in Southern Africa, as well as cherished the opportunity to make new acquaintances. Last night in Gabs, I met up with a Finnish friend for dinner at Linga Longa. Kaisa is studying for the term in Gaborone, and it worked out perfectly that I could see here before I left the continent.

Kaisa and I, Linga Longa

While I've done a lot in my time here, I think coming back to see the new and old friends I'm leaving behind, and travel some more in this amazing region will definitely be in order. World Cup 2010, anyone? I'm serious. Contact me. Let's do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment